The Power of the Body-Mind Interaction
How we treat our body has a direct effect on our state of mind. Likewise, our state of mind can majorly influence how we treat our body.
For example, if you do not feel good about yourself, it is easy to fall into a cycle of emotional eating. Similarly, when we make unwise food choices such as grabbing a doughnut, this can cause our mood to go from high to low.
Essentially how we treat our body effects our mind, and our mind effects how we treat our body.
The good news, is that whichever doorway you start with, your physical, mental and emotional bodies will all thank you.
For example, if you decide to work on your mental-emotional state by repeating affirmations such as “I love my body” or “I am healthy”, this will help you make healthier food choices. A quick note on why this is effective is that the study of neuroplasticity has shown that the messages we feed our mind have a physiological impact on the neural-networks and beliefs that we carry. Therefore, when you repeat a positive affirmation, it will increase your belief, and when you increase your belief, it will lead to action—such as making healthier food choices.
Likewise, when you start to make healthier food choices, such as choosing a green salad with black beans and quinoa, instead of fried chicken and chips, your mood and energy levels will improve.
When choosing to eat healthier there are often simple things you can do to enhance your health. For example, starting your day with fruit, and choosing fruit as healthy snacks, instead of going for cookies and doughnuts. At the same time, it is OK to enjoy treats, but there are always ways to create healthier versions of your favourites. And this week, I have just the recipe for you with some delicious Black Bean Brownies.
I’ll close this newsletter with this: the next time you are feeling low in energy or in a low-mood, you may be surprised how some simple diet fixes can radically shift you from feeling down to happy pretty fast!
Here are my top 3 recommendations:
1. Green Smoothie (recipe is in my free guide to Empowered Living. If you don’t have it yet, Click here to Get it by entering your email for your free guide)
2. Eat more fruit. Aim for 3 fruits a day. They make great snacks, especially if you’re on-the-go
3. Eat more beans. Add beans to your diet at least 3 times a week. The bean brownies are a delicious way to make it happen! The best way to eat beans is to soak the dried beans overnight(while you sleep) and the next day cook them(once they come to a boil, let simmer for 45 minutes-1 hour), and then you can jar them for later use.
Here is a delicious way to get fiber into your diet. It is Flour-free and Gluten free. I have made this recipe really healthy—low fat + low sugar, with lots of health + deliciousness :)
Black Bean Brownies:
· 1.5 cups cooked black beans
· ¼ cup raw organic sugar (OR Agave which has a lower glycemic index and is better for regulating blood glucose levels)
· ¼ cup pure cocoa
· 2 free range eggs
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten free)
· 1-2 teaspoons real vanilla extract(optional)
· ¼ cup dark fair trade chocolate chips
Place all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a blender until smooth. Lightly grease a pan (round or rectangular, depending if you want brownie wedges or brownie squares). Pour blended batter in pan, and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes ~ until knife comes out clean.
Let it cool & enjoy a delicious gluten free brownie that is high in fiber, low in fat & sugar.
Enjoy this delicious and healthy treat. Remember to eat in moderation. This recipe creates 8 fiber fantastic servings. Fiber is essential for healthy detoxification which is necessary to feel energized + vibrant.
Take The Health Challenge:
Add more fiber to your diet This Week!
Decide on ONE way you will get more fiber this week, and commit to doing it every day. For example you might promise to drink a green smoothie everyday this week, or add an extra fruit in daily
Report Your Insights and what challenge you plan to take on in the comments below