Today’s post comes from a question I was recently asked: How do you discover your passion,and where do you go when you’re not even sure where you’re headed on the passion-road?
Often we hear advice on following our dreams or going after our passions. But what if you feel like you don’t even know what you’re passions and dreams are? What if you feel like you have no idea where you are headed?
Well there are several ways to get back in touch with your passions.
Essentially—that is the magic trick—it’s about getting BACK in touch with something you already have.
I find asking yourself these questions will help open the field of passion-possibility, and re-ignite forgotten dreams, passions and joy.
1. When was the last time you got really super excited about something? Was it a documentary you watched that sparked an old passion or ignited a hidden dream about something you wish you were doing? Was it taking a trip or baking a cake? Sometimes the little things that bring us so much joy are clues to the things that we can devote more time to.
2. Is there something you’ve always wanted to do but have felt “That’s impossible” or “That’s not realistic” or “Well, I’m not sure if I even really want to do that thing…” What are those things? Is it singing karaoke? Doing a stand-up routine? Taking an art class or joining a book club?
Well until you take that leap of action, you won’t know if that thing IS for you, and you won’t know if that thing is possible. Instead of staying in your head about something take action by taking the first step to make that thing a reality.
Action always gives us feedback and helps clarify our passions. Sometimes we think ( in our head) that we will love something, and then try it and realize we don’t love it. Other times we may be scared to do something and talk ourselves out of doing it saying “that’s not for me anyways” but until we take action on it we have no idea what joy we may be missing out on. If there is something you think you want to do – take action on it now. That is the only way to know if it is indeed a passion worth pursuing.
Always dream of stand up? Find out if there’s a local yuk-yuks or community center that offers a stand up night. Or maybe go ahead and go to the drop in art class. Yes it will take some of your precious time, and likely a little cash, but if you never risk something—how do you know what you could be gaining from the experience?
The only way to know and get closer to your passions is to act on those inklings of things you want to try!
3. What was the last activity when time flew away? Was it cooking a meal? Playing a sport? Giving advice to a friend? Our passions often are so enjoyable, the time flies and we don’t even feel like we are working, This is a clue to your remarkable passion projects to get started on
4. What do people continuously say/remark about you?
Is there something you do so well, so naturally that you don’t even see the gift you possess?
Perhaps this natural gift is something that can be strengthened and expanded upon to delve deeper into growing that natural gift into a bigger project?
5. Spend some time in conscious quiet reflection where you use a visualization/meditation technique to help you gain a dose of clarity and remind you of your deeper passions. Often simply asking the question: What am I to work on? Or what is my deep passion? By asking one of these questions and then taking 10 minutes to sit silently and see what arises, often gives us insight into the passions and projects we are heartfelt about pursuing.
Now I’d love to hear from you. What passions do you want to pursue? Share in the comments below, and let’s support each other to go for our dreams!
If you liked this article. Please “Like” it and share with your friends. Thank You!!