Spark: It’s the bounce in your step. The joy in your action. The easeful energy of getting things done.
A new month is a great time to reassess what you want, and how you’ll move towards what you want with energy and ease.
It’s common to get caught up in not knowing what you want, or wanting conflicting things. When this happens, you’re unlikely to take action. Or you’ll take unfocused action which will set you off in many directions–leaving you tired and still not feeling like you reached any goal.
Today I propose you focus on Spark for the month of September. Instead of trying to figure out your goals–focus on adding spark to every day.
The magic: spark is igniter fuel.
By focusing on the fuel, your energy will take you where you’re meant to go.
Focus on feeling good every day. Even if you’re going through a rough time–focus on dosing every day with Spark to help you get up and get going even if you’re dealing with a tough life transition.
What I’m sharing with you is exactly what I’m practicing too.
Here are 5 ways to add Spark to September:
1. Wake up with a positive mantra or intention. It can be as simple as:
“I am grateful to be alive” or “I intend to see love today” or “I am grateful for the mystery of today” or “I intend to add spark to my day”
Then throughout the day, if you find yourself slipping into negativity or fear, remind yourself of your morning mantra.
2. Make healthy eating a priority. Instead of thinking about all the things you can’t/shouldn’t have, focus on adding the good stuff. It can be as simple as start every morning with a glass of water–whether it’s plain, warmed up/herbal tea, or with a lemon/lime–make sure you start your day with cleansing water.
Then, unless for some reason you’re doctor tells you to stay away from fruit, add an apple to your day. Apples are cleansing and there’s a reason that old saying of “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” is so prevalent! If you’re looking to add something more intense, make sure to get your dose of deep dark greens. The easy way is with a Green Smoothie which is full of greens and water–deeply cleansing and energizing. I have a recipe for you here. For more intense change for your health and wellness, get this book
3. Exercise everyday. Seriously. It doesn’t have to be high intensity Crossfit or Sealfit or Marathon Training. It can be a walk, bike ride, flow-yoga class, or dance. The best thing is to mix it up, with some days high intensity and other days lower intensity–but there’s no reason NOT to move everyday.
Our physical bodies hold stress. Every day there’s something to be stressed about. If we sit with the stress it will impact our energy, happiness, and creative ideas. If you want your work/business to flow better, and to feel more creative and joyful in your work, get moving. Whatever it is, even if its just 30 minutes, make sure to move everyday.
4. Fuel your mind. Give your mind a chance to read, research, or create something new. If you want to add spark to your life, pick up a book from the library that may imbue you with a fresh perspective and give you the inspiration you need.
If you have an inkling to take a class, head to Google and search for that subject area in your city. If there’s a school you’ve been thinking of attending, walk in and speak with admissions.
Other simple ideas to fuel your mind is reading inspiring blog articles, watching a Ted Talk, Colour/Splash art on a canvass even if you don’t consider yourself an artist, or pick up a book and commit to reading for atleast 30 minutes a day. Ideas lurk in strange places. You never know when you’ll read an article that gives you a link to a book that fuels your ambition for a new life direction. Now that’s the power of spark.
5. End every day with gratitude. Gratitude never gets old, but can easily get bypassed.
The same way every morning it’s important to start your day with 5 minutes of meditation to clear your mind, it’s just as life-changing to close the day with 5-minutes of reflection.
You can make it a Gratitude Meditation. You can start with 5 things you’re grateful for during your day (It could be the dogwalker who smiled at you, the coworker who brought you coffee, or gratitude for your body for doing all that it does….And yes I mean the mere fact if you’re lucky enough to have arms, legs and a spinal cord, you are immensely blessed. This alone is something to be thankful for everyday) Then sit and breathe with the feeling of gratitude for all the little things that truly make up the big picture of life.
Whether you do this just before bed, or sometime between 5pm and midnight, find a time that’s consistent so that you get in the habit of it. The magic of gratitude is it helps to lift your inner spark. It helps you see all that you have. Often it’s the simple things in life that give our lives meaning, joy, and the fuel and faith to know that life is awesome no matter what hard times we may be facing.